Thursday, February 21, 2013

Protecting my SFG from the Cold


 

In my eagerness to get my SFG growing, I may have planted a little early.  But here in Texas when spring arrives, the temperature warms up quickly.  I wanted to make sure there was time for my early, early, spring crops to mature before it gets too warm. 

Since my last post, the weather in Texas has turned COLD and RAINY.   Last weekend the temperature was scheduled to drop below freezing, so I rushed to protect my baby plants!   With a square foot garden this was a simple task.   In his book Mel explains how to make some simple frames from PVC pipe.  I was short on time and did not have time to make the frames. Because my plants are still young I was able to cover all three squares with a piece of 3 mil plastic.  We weighted the platic down with some scrap 2X6 blocks so it wouldn’t blow away.   It worked perfectly.

We had to put the plastic back on tonight.  Freezing temperatures forecast for early tomorrow morning. 

Come on spring!  I am ready for some dry and warmer weather so I can plant more squares.   I hope to plant some sugar snap peas, spinach, lettuce, and radishes as soon as we have a good day.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment