Thursday, March 21, 2013

Phase II begins!


God blessed my little garden with rain while I was away today.    More rain is in the forecast.

I began phase two of my square foot garden during my spring break and I am very excited.  Adding three more 4x4 squares completed this year’s garden design.  My square foot garden design now has four squares on the back and two squares on the front. 
I am waiting until later in the spring to make more dirt and fill the new squares because I just don’t trust myself.  If I have dirt I will not be able to resist planting my summer crops.  I think all the garden centers get their plants too early on purpose.  They know we can’t resist them.  We buy them, plant too soon, and then we have to purchase more plants because the first ones succumb to the late spring frost.     
 Our last frost date is still three weeks away.  I will be patient, I will be patient, I will be patient!  
 


 

Another task we accomplished during spring break was mulching the walkways between my squares.  First, I covered the walkways with Scotts Pro Weed Block.   Then we bought 20 bags of cypress mulch and spread it between the squares about two inches deep.   Even with 20 bags we ran short.  I thought I had a picture of the mulch, but I guess I was wrong.  I will post a picture later. Perhaps you can imagine the black weed block covered with cyprus mulch. 

I am undecided about what I want to use to hold the mulch in place on the outside walkways.   I am thinking about planting marigolds or dianthus around the edges instead of using man-made edging.  Marigolds would be good because I know they deter garden pests, but the dianthus will be good because they will come back each year. 
 If anyone has suggestions for what to use for my garden edging, please share your ideas!
 
Spring Crops are making progressing!
 
 I wanted to share the progress of my Bibb lettuce.

 Bibb Lettuce planted from transplants February 24.
                                               

Bibb Lettuce - March 21
I am thinking salad for supper soon!  I better get the radishes planted!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment