Sunday, March 31, 2013

My First Harvest


Woo-Hoo!  My lettuce is ready for harvest.   I am really excited to begin harvesting my first crop.  Fortunate for me this comes right in time for my new resolve to eat healthier and to eat fewer calories.  What better way to do that then eating a lot of salad.   Fresh home grown salad!

As excited as I am about my garden, I visited my sister’s (row garden) today.  She had some beautiful kale growing and already had fresh radishes.   I haven’t even planted radishes.  I bought the seeds, but the package instructions said to plant two weeks before the last frost.  That means it is now time to plant.   She does live 45 minutes south of me, so maybe that is why she got to plant earlier.  Hopefully, I can plant radishes on Monday. 

I cannot remember a spring with so many low temperature days this late in the year.   It is great for my spring crops as long as the temperatures don’t suddenly jump to 85 degrees.  I had to cover my garden several nights last week as the temperatures dropped into the low 30’s but this week seems to promise warmer spring weather. 

Replants are a success!
 I replanted my spinach since it wasn’t coming up.  I suppose the other seeds were still there just waiting for warmer temperatures or something, because now I have many spinach seedlings coming up in a totally random arrangement, not the well thought out and researched square foot garden plan.  I will have to thin them soon.   I also had to replant my sugar snap peas and this time I am not disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment