Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Warmer Weather Making a Difference

March 19, 2013

Tomorrow is the first day of spring and we are finally getting some typical Texas spring weather.  These warmer temperatures are going to help the garden grow!

A lot has been happening and not happening in my garden since I last posted.   The mesclun seeds (often called spring mix in the store) are sprouting and coming along nicely. The mesclun squares are going to be interesting because when I first planted them I did not label the squares.  Having forgotten what was planted in those unlabeled squares; I planted a second variety of spinach and then realized that I already had mesclun planted there.   I now have mesclun and spinach coming up in the same square.   I am going to give it more time before I do any thinning.  They are just tiny babies right now and they all have plenty of room to grow.   Since I have never grown mesclun from seed this is a new adventure for me anyway, so I will just watch and wait to see what could happen over the next few weeks. 


What is not happening is the sugar snap peas are not sprouting.    I have two peas that sprouted on time.  I dug under the ground to see if there were others trying to come up but I could only find one, so I have replanted sugar snap peas.   I have also had trouble with the spinach squares sprouting.  I replanted the spinach also.   I soaked the seeds for a few minutes this time to see if that would make a difference.  I am also trying to keep the soil more evenly moist.  I may have let my soil dry out before. 
Dry soil does seem to be my biggest problem.  I am wondering if I have made my Mel’s mix correctly because it is not holding moisture very well.   

My lettuce, broccoli, cabbage, and brussel sprouts are all growing and looking very healthy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment