Friday, April 26, 2013

Best Square Foot Garden Ever!


I have never planted a garden and had such success as I am having with my square foot garden this year.   I am convinced that the secret is the homemade soil, Mel’s Mix!   The soil is so wonderful.  It is like the perfect soil.   I keep meaning to test the soil to see if it has all the right nutrients, but so far everything is growing so well that I have not slowed down and conducted the test.   I just want to share some pictures I took this afternoon to show you what I am talking about.   

 

You are looking at lush brussel spouts and cabbages.


Cabbages, lettuce, spinach, pole beans, and red potatoes!

I harvested spinach today.   This was my spinach squares just before I picked them today.   This was my second harvest.

 

Two of my four spinach 12 inch squares just before harvesting!


My potatoes have reached the top of the box.   I may only have to add soil one more time or maybe not.   They look beautiful and healthy.  On one of my Internet browsing journeys I read where some people grew potatoes in a box or container and all they ever got was a beautiful plant above ground, but no potatoes below ground. I sure hope that doesn’t happen here.   Waiting for my potato harvest will be like waiting for Christmas morning when I was a little kid.

I will probably add more soil one more time.
The potatoes will have 18 inches of soil to spread their little feet!
 

  My brussel sprouts are finally starting to produce sprouts!  
It's a baby brussel sprout!
 

One whole 4x4 square has been dedicated to GS90 Sweet Corn!   Sweet little corn seedlings peeked their heads through the soil this week and they are shooting up quickly.    Once the corn gets a little bit taller I am going to build a horizontal trellis to use a support for the corn.
 
If you look really close you might be able to see my corn shoots
 planted four per square.

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment