Thursday, April 11, 2013

Ridding my Vegetable Garden of Fire Ants


Battle of the Ants!
 
 
I have been at war.  The enemy…Fire Ants.  When I first discovered fire ants invading my garden, I realized I needed to take action immediately. !    If fire ants invade my lawn I know what works, but that solution would not work in my vegetable garden.  I needed to find something safe and nontoxic.   On one of my favorite gardening forums, Garden Web, I learned several interesting suggestions for ridding your vegetable garden of ants.    I cannot speak to the validity of any of these methods except the two I tried.  

Ways to Rid Your Vegetable Garden of Ants-

Orange Oil
Instant Grits
Dry or Gardening Molasses
Coffee Grounds
Cornmeal
Sugar
Diatomaceous Earth
Pots of boiling water
Ant Poison with the active ingredient Spinosad

Being a true Texan and a former 4-Her I knew the Texas A&M extension service must have some valuable information for battling the pesky little critters.  I have included the link to their fact sheet.  It was interesting to see which of the above suggestions from the garden forum were actually on their fact sheet.  I was surprised to actually find boiling water on the A&M Fact Sheet.     


I treated the infested area twice with cornmeal and although it seemed to slow the ants for a day or so, they never vacated my garden.    I treated the ants this past weekend with poison containing the active ingredient Spinosad.  On Monday there were still a few ants crawling around, but not many.   If I see any more ants I may try the boiling water method next.  
 


Cornmeal treatment for fire ants slowed them down,
but did not eradicate the pesky fella's.
 

 

2 comments:

  1. If you can locate their nest, the boiling water method might be the best bet in ridding yourself of those ants in one go. I haven’t tried cornmeal, and from the results on your end, it seems in effective. I find that coffee grounds are effective against slugs, but I’m not sure how they’ll fare against ants. Sugar just seems to be counter-productive. Won’t that just lure them out more?

    Maurine
    Mosquito Squad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally purchased ant poison with Spinosad. I mixed it according to the directions and applied it to the ant mound. The ants were gone. I thought the battle was over, but a few weeks ago, they had returned to the same location. I treated the mound again with the same ant poison as before and they are gone again.

    ReplyDelete