Sunday, April 21, 2013

Growing Potatoes in a Square Foot Garden


 

 
One of my favorite homegrown vegetables is new red potatoes cooked with fresh snapped green beans.   For the past several years I have had to rely on my brother-in-law to supply the potatoes.   This year I am raising my own potatoes in my square foot garden.   Since my raised beds are only six inches deep, they are too shallow to grow potatoes.   My husband built three 12 x 12 inch boxes from some scrap wood we had left over from rebuilding our deck.  I am really proud of my potato boxes.   Good job honey!  You really are becoming a pretty good carpenter. 
 

We placed the boxes over the three squares in my SFG where I planted my potatoes.  They fit perfect.   As the potatoes grow taller above the soil, I have been adding more soil.   The potatoes have grown almost to the top of the potato box.   Hopefully, when it is time to harvest, the potato boxes will be full of new red potatoes.   

Potato Boxes

As the potatoes grow, I add more dirt (Mel's Mix).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment